Sunday, February 1, 2015

Research

I've recently become much more interested in writing.  Ever since graduate school I've had a soft-spot for children's literature and in the past couple of months have really dedicated myself to crafting a top-notch story for kids.  I recently went on a binge of [re]reading a bunch of stories in the format I wanted to explore.  "Through the wardrobe" stories such as The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (seriously what's all the hype about? he's an incredibly self-conscious writer, with a pretty choppy story... maybe the other Chronicles are better?), The Phantom Tollbooth, Alice in Wonderland, Neil Gaiman, and Roald Dahl.

It's inspiring and intimidating to read all these really well crafted stories.  The Phantom Tollbooth for example is so tight, and clever on so many levels.  Every seemingly chopped up vignette makes a point and ties into the greater story.

I think the next step is to read all the Newberry Award winners.  See what author's are doing for kids today.

What are you writing about you ask?  Birds, foppish Tigers, and monsters under the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment