Friday, July 31, 2015

Epic Knit

In case you missed it (and don't worry, I have plans to blog all about it, and show you tons of amazing pictures), I just got back from two weeks in Scotland and Ireland.  Now, of course, one of the things I was doing while I was there was trying to find the perfect souvenirs to bring back.

Since I couldn't fit one of these cuties in my suitcase, I was spending a lot of time in souvenir shops.  

And one thing they like to sell over there, is knits. Anything that can be knit will.  Usually with local wool, or cashmere if they're feeling saucy.  It was the kind of thing that had both me and my mom going "I want to make that."  You heard me, MAKE it.  Not buy it.

So here I am, back home, trying the most epic knitting project to date.  Because, for me apparently, every project I make has to be exponentially harder than the previous one.

If you'll remember my holiday project from last year.  A Christmas Stocking that could actually fit:

My first and so far only attempt at sock.
Followed by a scarf with lacework so frustratingly intricate it made Andrew gun-shy about any new projects I suggested after it.

"Maybe next time you shouldn't do something as hard."

And most recently, teaching myself to crochet and making these little brudders:

Unfortunately, I reek of depravity (I drink beer and wear bikinis after all), so they probably found a quick path to the garbage bin.  But I try not to think about that.
Anyway, not-so-subtle bragging aside, I'm embarking on a top-secret knitting project. (Why is it top-secret?  Andrew has a birthday in 2 months, followed by Christmas 2 months later, and our anniversary 2 months after that.  That gives me 3 chances to make him an amazing gift, and I don't want to give it away. He obvi knows I'm knitting something, but hopefully hasn't figure out WHAT yet.)

As anxious as I am to start, I can't just dive in like I normally do.  Because it's so epic, I have to make gauge swatches and figure out the perfect yarn.  Stuff I have never done before.  I'm toying with blogging about my knitting journey.  We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Epic knitting projects are the best/worst. I'm finally going to try making socks this year so eventually I can make these http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hufflepuff-pride-socks

    ReplyDelete