Living in San Francisco is a bit more expensive than living in D.C. (except the metro isn't such a rip off). A decent one bedroom is about $2,000/month. In Denver, a one bedroom that makes me go "what in the world would one person need all that space for?!" is about $800/month.
So the point is, unless I was moving to Denver, I was pretty much resigned to the fact that I would have a roommate (or 4) that I would undoubtedly hate. Which was, without me realizing it, totally stressing me out. Recently, my friend Bobby (who did exactly what I'm doing last year) told me to check out the East Bay where he's living now. I rummage through some old emails from my cousin who lives out there and she gives me some specific neighborhoods. Oh my gosh, am I glad I did.
I could totally afford a one bedroom/studio in the East Bay.
I reconcile the idea that I wouldn't be living in the city by running two sentences through my head: "You'd live in Arlington wouldn't you?" (In a heartbeat) and something Bobby said, "The people in East Bay are more down to earth than the people in the city" (I don't doubt this for a second. Seriously, you should see some of the apartment listings: 'New roommate must be a vegetarian working for a non-profit willing to ride their bike everywhere and be a productive member of our start-up commune'... yikes!).
So, I feel a little lighter, and a little more determined to head to SF in August. Thanks for the good advice Bobby!
I don't think you have a personality defect at all (unless we both do!) because I can't do roommates really either. I get along with my current roommate really well and we're both barely home together (which probably helps) but I still can't help wanting to be ON MY OWN. Once I leave here I'll obviously be living with my husband which is a whole other stress-inducing situation on its own!
ReplyDelete