Friday, July 22, 2011

The Loneliest Road


This amazing young man just got himself a career. Starting August first he will have a very lucrative job in Arlington, VA. He and I have almost the exact same degrees and my desire to live the dream means that he'll be making approximately double of what I'll make if I'm lucky. But that's a story for another day.

The reason I bring him up, other than to brag (seriously I am so proud) is that on August 7th I was going to drag him across the country with me (at least for the ride, if not to stay), but he can't really take off his second week of work, now can he?

So here I sit staring at my trip itinerary that oh-so-casually points out that I will be driving 2883.5 miles (or you know, just 42 hours, 34 mins) along U.S. Route 50. Aptly named "The Loneliest Road in America", U.S. 50 is an old road that cuts a direct route from D.C. to San Francisco. I could literally hop onto it about 10 minutes from my house and stay on it until I reach the City by the Bay. It is by no means the fastest way to get there. That would be I-80. The internet (quite rudely I might add) points out that I-80 is one of the most boring interstates there is and if you want a nice scenic drive to check out I-70 and U.S. 50.

Apparently U.S. 50 was the way to go across country back in the day, before it was bypassed by interstates. Nowadays it is kind of rambly and runs through a whole lot of dessert and a few dilapidated little towns. Think Disney/Pixar's Cars. Pretty much if I don't pass through the town of "Radiator Springs" I will be sorely disappointed.

But the idea of being on the road for 6 hours a day for 7 days is starting to sink in. I burn out around 3 1/2. I have a copy of Eragon on tape... but that's only 17 hours. 17 of 42. That's not even half. I'm thinking I'll have to get the others from the library if I can. Also I've somehow managed to know about a million people in the Colorado/Denver Area and a few in the Bay Area, but no one before or between. So it's hotels almost the whole way. Hopefully I'll be okay with out reservations.

There's so much more going on, so much more that I'm stressing/thinking about. But that's a post for another day.


Seriously, I'm staying at the Cozy Cone.

No comments:

Post a Comment