Now I have tried to bring this up to several people since, but never did I feel like my response was being taken so seriously as when Nate called me this evening. He starts rattling off about the ethical implications of artificial intelligence, or even boosting the intelligence of other beings like animals. He talks about how robot morality would be different than human morality, so we can't assume they'd have our same bloodlust and thirst for power. We started talking about living along side robots as non-competitive species. He talks about the realities and purposes of the Japanese robots that freaked me the fuck out to begin with.
Why would you create that you sick fucks?!
"How come every time we talk you bring up some crazy theoretical science? Where do you get all this information from?" I finally asked him.
"Because I'm a huge nerd and read science articles all the time. Besides, I can actually talk about them to you, everyone else thinks they're boring."
That's what our conversations are always like. I don't have to worry what I'll talk about with him. We just talk. And no matter how weird or shitty I'm feeling, talking to him makes me feel better. If I'm feeling down it doesn't drag him down, and if he's feeling shitty it doesn't make me feel shitty. We don't work that way. "Shit's awful? That sucks? Let's talk about something not awful. I've got an idea let's argue about whether a Robot Apocalypse is inevitable!"
In a weird day of blah not-quite-satisfied feelings, it was great to have a moment where I picked up the phone to an upbeat Tigger-like energy and just felt totally accepted comfortable. I need more people like that in my life. Fast-movers and talkers who shake me out of my bleck. People who say "You made my day too Mel".
| Not in love with this picture… BUT we don't take a lot of pictures together, so you work with what you've got. |
No comments:
Post a Comment