I guess I have to blame unemployment for that one. Over the summer I got paid the last of my teacher salary, followed by a DRAMATIC cost of living decrease. Which set me up with a nice little cushion to get settled with. Let's just say that having the money to be [temporarily] unemployed makes you wildly complacent and unaware of the passage of time. (I can see my mom's comment now: "You won't have that money forever, you know!" Yes, I'm aware. Now I can see her next comment, "Well you won't!" Well, great, that's been covered, moving on.)
So what has been going on in all this quickly, slowly, amorphously passing time?
Living with Andrew's been great. We still haven't gotten the place all fixed up, we're in desperate need of a desk and just you know, an adult sense of organization, but luckily we're equally prone to leaving jeans on the living room floor and shoes in the kitchen, so at least no one is at fault.
Mostly we cook a lot:
![]() |
| You probably heard we caught some nachos on fire. In case you didn't. We caught some nachos on fire. |
![]() |
| Chile rellenos on a bed of homemade roasted tomatillo-salsa with blue corn chips and nectarines. Andrew is surprised by how well we did. |
![]() |
| In case you can't tell, I'm amazed at how much food there is. |
Let's see, adventures:
We went to Malibu to hit up the beach and on our way back we found a carnival hosted by a local boy scout troupe. It was very awesome and made me feel very insecure about the way I dress myself (Do I dress too much like these high schoolers? Don't adults dress like that in SF? Do I own big girl clothes?). However, add 3 glasses of local $9 a glass wine (Malibu….), a funnel cake, this upside spinning thing that made me scream my lungs out, and the Gravitron and I was suddenly very very very sick. Seriously, I did not think people actually threw up from carnival rides. I, of course, was wrong. At least I held out until we got home.
We went to the Dodgers game and got a free Magic Johnson bobble-head.
![]() |
| One of my fave outtakes. There were many. |
We hiked Temescal Canyon park. With a depressingly drought-dried waterfall, but views of the ocean.
After two months of waiting I heard back for an interview to substitute teach. Repeated nightmares about not being prepared for the first day of school only confirm that I made the right choice about quitting full-time.
I got new headshots.
I was a background extra in a new TV show with Katherine Heigl. She made a joke in my general direction and I awkwardly laughed. It was a neat day. The camera may, or may not, "land on" me.
![]() |
| Weird rubber ducky on the way to the shoot. |
I've been on a lot of auditions with no results yet. I'm told this is the norm. I just missed out on the first project I was actually kind of into. A student film about high school track stars. You'll remember that high school was 10 years ago for me, so I'm honestly surprised I got as far as I did in the audition process. But poor Andrew has had to put up with me checking my phone every hour and going, "I guess they don't want me in their movie."
Looking for an acting class because being in front of the camera is WEIRD. I audited one class that was just ridiculous. It started 45 minutes late, ran an hour and a half over and didn't seem planned at all. Then he sent an email out to everyone who audited and said "hey, sorry class was a bit hectic last week, come in for another free one and I'll make it up to you." I showed up for the second audit and waited for him to show up for 40 minutes before deciding to leave. This guy just got voted one of the best teachers in L.A. I felt really jerked around and was super mad. How can that pass as acceptable, professional behavior? None of his regular students seemed at all fazed by his late arrival. Like they basically said it was expected. West Coasters are such flakes. Seriously West Coast = Worst Coast. Do I regret moving down here though? Do I wish I had gone back east? Absolutely not. I'm having a blast, Andrew's a doll, and the beach is super close.






No comments:
Post a Comment