Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Titanic


Oh man.  I love crying.  I really do.  It feels great.

After work today, I drove straight to the movie theater for the 6:45 showing of the Titanic re-release.  I cried for a solid hour at least.  It took every fiber of my being to refrain from audibly weeping.  And I feel AWESOME.  Like all I want to do right now is go back and watch it again.

People may knock Titanic for being cheesy or whatever it is that they hate about it, and you know what?  Fine.  But I love it.

I went to see it the first time on, like, maybe the day it opened.  Just me and my dad.  We’ve never done a lot of stuff together, so that always made it cool. 

It was probably the first movie that I ever cried watching (empathy never exactly came naturally).  I don’t think I cried when Jack dies, but when the old couple holds each other as their bedroom is slowly flooded, and when the mother tucks her children in and tells them a story.  Those always gets me.

And then it became such a big part of the culture of that school year.  My Heart Will Go On was like my 5th grade theme song:  everyone wanted to sing it for the talent show (to the point that no one was allowed to sing it), we learned the tune on our recorders in music class, and I serenaded my shower walls with it endlessly.

Leonardo DiCaprio was one of my first real, grown-up crushes.  I read biographies of him, collected magazines, watched all of his movies, and caught every episode of Growing Pains he’d ever been in.  I fantasized about meeting boys with his floppy haircut.  To this day, he remains one of my favorite actors.  Watching him on screen makes me want to move to L.A. and make amazing films.  Only him and Hilary Swank have that effect on me.
 
And I can’t help but wonder how much my obsession with having red, curly hair (a desire I can remember having as far back as 6th grade) is a direct result of Rose’s auburn tresses.

Watching it this time through, I caught more than I ever had before.  Mostly in the form of romance and sexual references.  For a movie I love so much, I honestly haven’t watched it that many times (it is 3 hours long).  This might have been like the first time I’ve watched it all the way through since I was like 13. 

When they are in the car, and Rose says, “Jack, you’re trembling.”  He suddenly looked so much younger than her.  And that line, just wow.  I can’t explain it, but that line just really humanizes him for a moment.  Makes that moment seems so much more real.  The movie is cheesy at points, it is corny.  And man, that line is hella cheesy, but it just hit home with me.  It resonated.  It struck a chord.  It was poignant.

I've had trouble stomaching sappy romances since December.  The last Sarah Dessen novel I read was downright unbearable. An understandable and often welcome side-effect of a break-up is that I tend to become romantically dormant for a significant amount of time afterwards.  That emotional side of it all becomes incredibly  hard to take.  And I'll admit I didn't get as swept up in Jack and Rose as I wanted, but I keep picturing that moment when Rose has just jumped back onto the ship and Jack, flooded with relief and fear, is kissing her and saying "You're so stupid.  Why'd you do that, huh? You're so stupid, Rose."  Like, Oh. My. God.    About to cry again.



Anyway, seeing it tonight was everything I wanted it to be.  And I’m glad I spent that $20 bucks.  I feel awesome.  Just awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment