Saturday, April 28, 2012

Weekend Update: Bernal Heights

Sometime in March, several things happened at once:  Fat Bitch broke my shit, Skinny Bitch sent one too many emails, and both told me to stop singing, among other encounters. I needed to move out.  So before the whirlwind of apartment hunting, moving, parents visiting, and opening a show happened, I went on one last adventure.  For no other reason than I'd never heard of it and my guidebook said there'd be lots of dogs, I went to Bernal Heights.

To get to it, I walked through the more grungy, less-trendy parts of the mission.  Spanish, government housing, and thugs dominated the streets.  Gotta love the murals in SF though, this is Cesar Chavez Elementary.  That is Cesar Chavez.

View from Bernal Heights Park.  It's in the South Eastern Part of the city.  I think that's the view of downtown.  I couldn't even see Golden Gate Park from here.  The city is SO much bigger than I realize.

The park is this big patch of green on top of a hill.  Dogs everywhere.

Someone had taken the time to arrange these rocks in a huge path, or sculpture or something.  Point is, I spent five-minutes walking around in circles.
View from above (and upside down), I think (from L to R) it's a tree, a headless duck/swan, and a heart.

Only in SF.

Fantastic (and huge) coffee shop in Bernal Heights.  It was clearly a converted house with seating in the backyard.

Said coffee house.

I believe this is on "Virginia Street", Bernal Heights had this quaint small-towny feel, with a main street and everything.  My guide-book described it as "never a wealthy neighborhood", but it looked great to me.

Love Bomb.  I love graffiti. 

Another elementary school mural, this school's up by Bernal Heights.  The mural on the left is called something like "Family" and has interracial, hippie Adam and Eve types on it.

YES THAT IS THE STARSHIP ENTERPRISE ON THE A MURAL ON THE FRONT OF AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. HAHAHA.  Sometimes I love this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment