Tuesday, December 20, 2011

#getsad


His teeth were stained with wine and his eyes were red and puffy.  He walked in with the sense of purpose, but when he sat down he seemed hollow.  I knew what was coming, but it didn't make it easier.  He couldn't say it.  I filled in the gaps.  And then there was someone else in front of me.  Someone cold and distant.  Erect.  Harsh.  Decisive. Someone I'd never met and never wanted to know.  Closed off.  I don't know who that was.  I don't know who came to my apartment tonight.  And as he rushed out the door, seeming both angry and worried I caught him by the sleeve.  Asked him to hold me.  And I couldn't let go.  And it seemed for an instant he could hold me forever.  But he kissed me on the forehead, and pried me off.  "Okay Mel,"  Soft at first. Then hard. "Mel." Angry again.  Almost frantic.  Kiss me.  And he did.  And he melted.  And I melted.  And that was the man I knew.  The one I had fallen for.  And I thought I would cry.  One more?  One more.  And I did cry.  Some insincere joke about sex to try to pull myself back.  It didn't work. And he was gone.  Rushing out the door.  Not looking at me.  "I don't do well with crying.  I don't do well with crying."

No comments:

Post a Comment