Monday, March 3, 2014

Not With Haste

"Not With Haste" from Babel
by Mumford and Sons


It's really interesting coming back to this album with fresh ears.  There was a really long period of time when I couldn't listen to it because it made me too sad.  There's this tragic story of betrayal and loss in this album that just overwhelmed me.  But these past couple months I've been popping this guy in my CD player and finally hearing all the love songs.  The thing that I had a hard time attending to the first go round is this redemption theme that runs almost as strong as the betrayal thing (I'm guessing from when he started seeing Carey Mulligan, his now-wife).  There are some wonderful songs about being found when lost or bringing each other out of darkness.  Or one about the hope that mixes with fear that you'll fuck up again when you finally meet someone new.  This is the last "official" song on the album, and it's one of my favorites.  Not With Haste, seems to me is a very straightforward "I love you."


No comments:

Post a Comment