Saturday, August 27, 2011

Saying Good-bye

I've been meaning to write this post for awhile, but just haven't had a good time.

Before I left I had a chance to say good-bye to a lot of people in my life. It was funny, how indicative of our relationships they became. Our last meetings really summed up, in my mind, our experiences together.

The adventure actually began with Rolfe. We reconnected briefly, until he said something that I thought was haughty/demeaning, so I said something that he thought sounded defensive/offensive, and everything spiraled out of control until I figured it wasn't worth the effort and took all the blame for the conversation. Every conversation we've ever had. In. A. Nutshell.

Laura: We went to Red Robin, talked about her job, and my crazy idea to move west and sat at the bar for far longer than I'm sure the bartender wanted. It was like I had never left for grad school. Like no time had passed at all.

Topher: who I wish I could have brought with me. We didn't even say good-bye; a week before I left we got drunk, made fools of ourselves, and then I left the house very early in the morning getting a groggy "see ya" from under the covers. Ours is a relationship that doesn't need formal good-byes, it's very comfortable, very natural, very easy. When I told him later that I was nervous about the move he said "No point worrying over something you can't know about." Good point.

Andy: After countless text messages and me thinking 'this isn't worth my time', I finally decide we are meeting for Mexican. The day-of he blows my mind by sending me a text saying "I'm really looking forward to our dinner." It's easy to forget he used to care about me, and maybe still does. He gave me some music, was dressed better than me, and smelled amazing. Again, sums things up pretty nicely. When I told him I was nervous he said "You should be." Haha. Another good point.

Nathan: At the last possible minute I went "Holy shit, I haven't seen you, I'm leaving soon". I drove out to Winchester, we played with a LOTR sword, called each other Biddy, made fun of an episode of Star Trek, and talked about things I don't remember now, and I doubt made sense at the time.

Pete: We talked about getting together, and maybe even made plans. But in the end, we just ended up gchatting about it all instead.

My Mom: Helped me move, played nurse when I was sick, and got addicted to my Glee Warbler's CD. We cried when I dropped her off, and I'm pretty sure she's texted me multiple times a day, every day since. She's still helping me figure my stuff out so maybe one day I can be an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment