Monday, October 1, 2012

Dear Friend,

I have a love/hate relationship with kickball.  Granted, we've only had three games.  So far it's been hard to form a solid opinion about whether it's fun or not.  You'd think that would be easy to tell.  But it ain't.  The first week I loved it.  No one really knew what they were doing.  It was "Playground" style, if you will.  Low emphasis on the score or strategy.  Very much my style.  It's not about the product, it's the process.  It's not about the goal, it's the journey.  It's not about the climax, it's what happens on the way. 

The next week it shifted dramatically as all of last season's players somehow got the memo that the fall season was in swing.  Suddenly it was all about scoring and competition and doing well.  THINGS THAT MAKE ME SHUT DOWN AUTOMATICALLY:  being overly competitve.

You know, like, I'd rather not.

And then this week the newbies were back, and it was much better, though still competitive.  So love/hate.

It also helped that I skipped the bar this week.  Last week I reached a level of non-sobriety that I haven't really seen since... the summer I was in grad school maybe?  I threw up a lot and made a couple phone calls I don't remember.  All in all a bad time.  I've been thinking a lot recently about the false-ness of drunk conversations.  How you say a lot of things you don't mean and connect in a way that isn't real.  A way that doesn't extend past the bar.

Instead I saw Willow!  Who is lovely.  And always worth a lunch date (and also good at showing me knew restaurants).  And so easy to talk to.  About most everything. I wish our lives were in more similar places so we could spend more time together.

And I went to the library and picked up Harry Potter.  I have every intention of rereading the series before getting this tattoo.  This is going to happen.  Pray for me to get through Order of the Phoenix swiftly and without putting a gun to either my or Rowling's head.  That being said I have no interest in reading her new book.  Sorry Rowling.  I loved Harry, not you.

I started watching Freaks and Geeks on Netflix and 13 year old Sweets is the cutest thing in the world, thoguh I think Jason Segal is my favorite character.

The only downside to the day was taking a shower at 7 and accidently falling asleep at 8, skipping dinner and losing the whole evening.  Sleeping through a meal is never a good time.

Willow, Abigail, and I are going to see Perks of Being a Wallflower this week and I cannot conceive of a world where I enjoy this movie.  I have read the book at least 10 times (it takes 3 days, it's not surprising), and have such clear pictures of the characters, such a clear sense of the meaning and tone of the book, that this movie can't possibly match up.  At the same time, I can't NOT see the movie.  So I'll see it, but I won't enjoy it.

And that's my life right now.

Love Always,

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment