"Leaves That Are Green" by Simon and Garfunkel
"Time Hurries On/ And the leaves that are green turn to brown."
This quote is kind of a knee-jerk, moderately comforting mantra that pops into my head anytime I think about the transience of things in our lives. Which is often since moving to San Francisco, as this whole experience has been a constant struggle to develop permanency. A struggle I am determined to win. But as an awesome summer ends or another play closes or I lose touch with another person, I find myself confronting the natural ebb and flow of life around me. A little more salient than "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da, Life goes on", I guess, this lyric rings in my mind, and I'm kind of okay with it all for a second.
P.S. Speaking of transience: I first learned this song when I was like 20, and it blew my mind when I realized that I am now older than he was when he is singing the song "I was 21 years when I wrote this song/I'm 23 now but I won't be for long." Yep, in my version of the song he says 23. Time hurries on and the leaves that are green turn to brown.
P.S. Speaking of transience: I first learned this song when I was like 20, and it blew my mind when I realized that I am now older than he was when he is singing the song "I was 21 years when I wrote this song/I'm 23 now but I won't be for long." Yep, in my version of the song he says 23. Time hurries on and the leaves that are green turn to brown.
No comments:
Post a Comment