Monday, April 1, 2013

Totally Gourmet

So we just started doing this CSA thing: aka $30 a week for more produce than you can handle.  And I've got to say I'm kind of loving it.  As someone who can (and has) cooked brussels sprouts for dinner every night for 4 months, it's pretty cool (so far) to have all these veggies I'd never dream of buying.  And if you think I'm just talking about the dandelion greens, you are sorely mistaken.  I'm talking about like... lettuce.  And arugula.



Anyway, I've been making a lot of really simple, but delicious things recently.  Things I wouldn't normally make, just because I don't have the ingredients.  Seriously, why would I ever choose to buy lettuce?

For dinner (yes, I eat dinner at 3:00 pm, don't judge, it's part of my new "eat when you're hungry not when you think is appropriate" nutrition plan, and it works so much better than everything else I have ever done)... anyway, for dinner I just made a fantastic open-faced sandwich:  Toasted walnut baguette, arugula, extra sharp cheddar cheese, eggs sunny-side up, and instead of salt/pepper I squeezed some lemon juice on top.  And I think that made it.

The other night I made nachos, with cheddar, black beans, lettuce, arugula, and guac (I cheated here and bought avocados and jalepenos).

And a couple days ago I used like half our eggs to attempt a Hollandaise sauce.  Which just turned into lemon-butter egg yolk scramble on top of poached eggs and garlic dandelion greens.  But it still tasted awesome.


This meal also guest starring:  Tater Tots, homemade roasted barley tea, and Fifty Shades Freed.  Yep, I just couldn't help myself.  It's as awful as the first two.

No comments:

Post a Comment