There are so many emails I receive that I just don't understand. Cycle of Inquiry Draft Schedule. Union News. Prep Schedule Inequity. Preferred dates for field trips based on prep/testing schedules... for March. How should I know? How should I know the answers to anything.
I feel like totally mindblown about how I'm supposed to make this curriculum connect to the standards. And a lot of the time I feel like I don't even know what the curriculum is supposed to be. When I was hired it was "We collaborate on everything." Now they've added, "But we all do our own thing really." So I ask about the math program and get three ideas on how to launch the it and even what it is.
I'm in the farthest corner of campus in a little portable. I feel like I'm hiding in a darkened corner of the homecoming dance my freshman year.
And then back to the fuss about standards. Am I teaching to those? How do I know? They give me these workbooks and textbooks and curriculum maps and pacing guides and... do they teach the standards? I've been teaching for 3 weeks, and aside from reading the English Language Arts Standards once, I couldn't tell you for the life of me what they are. Why was this so much less complicated in VA? Is it just the beginning of the school year? B/c we're establishing routines and stuff?
And then people talk about "Grade Level" all the time. So I'm giving all these assessments I've been given, and let's just talk about how I don' t know what score equals grade level. And then the kids are like "when are we going to do our first play?" And did you know there's no art teacher? And I don't think classroom teachers are responsible for picking up the slack. So yeah, no art instruction. So yeah... note to self, hope I don't forget that.
That being said, I really enjoy the things I DO understand. Leading groups of kids. Talking about writing (though I have no idea what fifth grade reading strategies are). The few days I have time for Social Studies/Geography.
And being on a schedule is really great for me.
I've been grocery shopping two weekends in a row. I'll probably do laundry this weekend. I eat/cook every night and drink alone less. I'm planning on reordering my CSA to make sure I have variety of fresh, local, organic veggies. And as much as I ADORE William, having limited access to him (i.e. only a couple times on Skype) is probably really helpful for this "being a productive adult" thing. Because if I could just call him up to go out exploring, God knows I wouldn't be wasting time on groceries and laundry.
It's likely because of the common core. My mom's an elementary school librarian and the common core is just KILLING her coworkers, including the experienced ones. IDK if CA has implemented it yet, but it's sucking in MD.
ReplyDelete