Thursday, November 1, 2012

Nap Dreams are Weird and Vivid

I had this dream that I was in town.  I had plans to see my family, but for some reason I was seeing my mom and sister first, then my dad, and for some reason this guy I once dated.  I guess he lived there too.  I saw my mom and sister.  We were in an RV or something.  Maybe my RV?  And I made tilapia and soup for one, but didn't eat it because we got distracted and ate at a restaurant.

 Immediately after that I had to go over to the mall to meet that guy I had dated.  He had ridden his bike but he had a broken foot.  Before I got dinner with him, I ran into my dad in the mall parking lot and I told him that mom was waiting for us and I'd see him after dinner.  I was nervous about dinner with that guy I dated because in real life we aren't on speaking terms.  I honestly don't know who arranged the dinner or why.

We had dinner (maybe) and then my family was there and a taxi came and picked up my mom and me and maybe my sibling(s), and a taxi picked up my dad, and that guy rode his bike behind us with his broken foot.  My mom's van was only parked outside of the mall parking lot, so I couldn't really understand why we didn't just walk to them.  When my dad climbed into the van I saw that he looked like he was struggling with some potentially life-threatening disease but didn't want to tell me yet.

I went to say good-bye to the guy I dated. He was sitting on a stump looking agitated. I assume it's because he just had to sit through dinner with me.  I give him this really awkward super light hug where he didn't hug me back and the whole time he just had that sour look on his face and I'm thinking he's being this way because he just hates me.

Then all of the sudden he says, "That's all?"  We are face to face right now.  Him sitting on a stump and I'm standing up right.  That's because he's about 8 feet tall.
"What are you talking about?"  I ask.
"Remember that night when our faces were really close and I just paused there talking to you?" This has never happened in real life, but in my dream I totally knew what he talking about.
"Yeah?" I say.  I know what it sounds like, but I'm not sure I'm understanding him.
"Why do you think I--?"  And I just guess and kiss him, fully expecting it to be as one-sided as that hug.  But it isn't.
"Why didn't you do that then?" He asks after we pull away.
"I didn't think I was allow-- I didn't think you wanted me too."
I don't remember what he said to that, but he didn't look sour anymore, he looked sweet like he used be so long ago. I know we kissed again and I sat across his lap.

Meanwhile my parents are watching and so's one of our taxi drivers, Sergio.  He is very rotund and comes up just as I am about to say good-bye and he says that when I open my mouth I better convince him that I have an accent.  Because it's okay for some Europeans to make-out in public like that, but with Americans he gets very mad.

This guy I dated pulls himself up on his broken leg and we walk holding hands down the road and into the valley that my parents' vans (they've doubled at this point) are parked along.

It's late fall because every leaf is a different shade of brown and they are blanketing the side of the hill.  I pretend to be French, then Italian.  I say "Okay, well, I'll call you," then think that may sound pushy.  And maybe I'm misinterpreting what's going on right now; maybe it doesn't mean that we want to repair this relationship.  "I mean, you can call me or text me"

Sensing my embarrassed confusion, he clarifies in that playful mocking manner that we used to use with each other, "Yeah, like, we'll call or text or do whatever we want."  And then he leaves and I climb into my mom's super fancy new van after my brother and sister.  I don't have a brother in real life.

Anyway I wish all my dreams had kissing in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment