Well, turns out it was like never going to be available for me, so they cancelled my order and I was all, "I guess it's time to face facts, I'll use the internet to order a couch from somewhere else." Well, for whatever reason, I always found an excuse to not order another couch. In fact, I went so far as to go to World Market and say "Do you have this original couch that I have been lusting over for the past month?"
George the sales associate said no, but he'd put my name on a list, and call me if they get a shipment. I waited a respectable two weeks and called him up again, just to check. He seemed a little annoyed and even said, "Didn't I already put your name on the list?" But I've been jerked around a lot by this couch, and I just want to know if it's worth my time. He said he'll check and call me back. By the time he called me, I'm at work. I got 4 calked from World Market in 15 minutes. I got two messages. The first message was from George telling me that my name wasn't on the list after all, and he'll put it on. He also said they weren't expecting the couch until the end of June at the earliest. My second message is also from George, but suddenly his voice sounded quieter and almost hispanic. George told me that they have the futon and I can pick it up today. Talk about mixed messages. I called him up and George assured me that there is NO futon. But he'll ask around the store and see why I had just gotten a call saying otherwise. 10 minutes later George called me up again and said, "It seems there are two George's at this store," as if this was news to him, "and the other George has found that we have exactly one futon available. You can pick it up today."
I decided almost instantly that this was some kind of mistake. What are the odds that the day I decide to call World Market about the couch is the same day that one of the managers happens to find one available and call me? This happened independent of my phone call. While I was on the phone with George 1, George 2 was wandering around the store, with my name in hand, getting ready to call me about this Futon they had randomly found in the depths of the store. That's just ridiculous. I called my mom and told her about the excellent joke World Market was playing on me.
So when I went to the store and had to wait a half an hour for them to find the sofa in the back, I was not surprised. I knew that they were having a hard time finding the sofa because it didn't exist. I refused to pay until I saw the box labeled "Studio Day Sofa".
AND THEN WHAT DO YOU KNOW. IT WAS RIGHT THERE. AT THE FRONT OF THE STORE. THE DAMN COUCH. IN A BOX. WITH MY NAME ON IT.
And then somehow I managed to fit this monstrosity in my tiny little egg car and drive all the way to rehearsal and all the way home with out getting into a traffic accident. (My seat was so far forward that if I had gotten into an accident I would have broken all my limbs, probably my ribs, and gotten some serious airbag burn on my face). THEN I lugged that fucker out of my car, to the elevator, and into my apartment, all alone at 11 o'clock at night. I AM A BEAST.
![]() |
| And this is what it looked like when I finished assembling it after rehearsal last night. I am very good at doing things. |

Mel! It's so cute and pretty! This sounds like a good story for your future stand-up routine or memoirs.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteLove the couch!!! Also, this post made me laugh out loud.
ReplyDelete