I was gonna make this big post declaring that minus one time in July I'd been single for exactly one year today. Which is like kind of a big deal. I dated... poorly after Andy and I broke up, and I'd been trying to like, break-out of that habit for awhile. When I moved to graduate school I made a big deal of telling people that I was totally going to be single for the whole year, focus on school and me, etc. And then that FAILED because what I actually wanted at the time was to be in a relationship. So that happened instead. With someone I wasn't really into. We both kind of understood that we were dating because it was convenient, not really because we could ever fall in love or anything. And then I moved to San Francisco and fell back into the same habits. It was easier to date than to try to make friends. I was much better at that.
And so a couple guys happened until I gambled my Click with Luke on some drunken kisses in the cold. (Looking back, I regret drinking so much with him. I blacked out a lot of moments from that relationship.) A big part of me feels like he could have been a pretty solid friend out here if we had never dated.
Anyway, after he called it off and I got a grip on what I needed out here (companionship, community, stability), I decided that it wasn't worth the gamble anymore. Because no matter what I want to believe, friendships never outlive intimacy. So I kind of lost my taste for dating for a long time. But now, finally, I find myself missing romance. So like hopefully I'm ready to get back into it. And hopefully from now on I'll do it right. I really don't want another relationship like the one I had in grad school.
Anyway, it turns out I had my dates wrong. And I've actually been single for a year and a couple days. So that's pretty cool.
FLIGHT HOME TOMORROW.
No comments:
Post a Comment