Sunday, December 2, 2012

Fortune Cookie Advice

This is a post about Luke.

I want to post about something that I've been afraid to post about all year.  I was worried about the ramifications.  I was worried that he'd somehow see it and get mad at me, ruining any chance at friendship or reconciliation.  But he's so far removed from me at this point, that I don't think it matters.  And I, slowly, frustratingly slowly, am starting to be removed from him, I think.

And that's the point, I guess.  I think about him, and us, and what happened all the time.  I've had the worst time letting him go.  That's it.  I haven't been able to let him go.

It's no wonder I thought he'd be mad at me for saying that.  I'm mad at me for feeling it.  You date someone for a month, and you should be over them a year later.  You should.  You should be over them 7 months later.  You should be over them 4 months later.  You should be over them a month later.  I hate this.

Normally when I'm dumped, I'm upset.  Big messy crying.  Whatever.  But a couple weeks later, I'll come around to his way of thinking.  "He was right, we had nothing to talk about." "We really aren't compatible." "Religious differences are a good reason to end it."  etc.

I've replayed and reread everything Luke ever told me about our break-up.  And I get it, I think.  I get why he did it.  It makes sense that it happened.  But for whatever reason, I can't make this leap...  the leap that these things add up to us making a bad couple.  And that's really the conclusion I have to come to if I want to let him go for good.

This happened to me once before.  With Andy.  Andy and I were a great couple.  We loved each other a lot, then a lot of things happened to lead our lives in different directions.  And we are different people now who would not be a great couple anymore.  And I've known all this for years.  And all those years that I knew that, understood that, I couldn't control my feelings for him.  If I was lonely, or sad, or ending another meaningless fling, I'd remember how happy I was with him.  I'd get jealous of him and his new girlfriend.  I'd be upset that he'd fallen in love again and I hadn't.

And I guess that's part of the reason these feelings for Luke keep hanging around.  He was the first person I'd met since Andy that I actually liked.  That I was actually excited to be with.  That I really wanted to care about.   I wasn't just dating him to pass the time.  I really did care about him.

That's a tall order I guess.

Now, let's be real for a minute.  It's not like I have this big dream of him rushing back to me, making some grand romantic gesture that means "Take me back!" so I can wrap my arms around him and kiss him and we'd get back together and everything would be wonderful like we're in some romantic comedy.  I may have all these feelings I can't deal with, but I still have a grasp on the way things really are.

Aside front he myriad of reasons that would prevent him from doing that, there's also a myriad of reasons that'd stay my hand if everything changed and I suddenly found him at my door.  Namely, all the trust that was lost.  At this point, I'm under the impression that he lied to me.  A lot.  Almost exclusively.

I'm not saying like he would look at me and say "I'm going to the store" then go sleep with some other girl.

I just... I don't think that he ever showed me who he really was.  I think he was really good at seeing who I wanted to be dating and acted like he was that person.  And I don't think he did it maliciously or anything.  I think he was just naturally really accommodating.  Maybe.

And that's something else that's so frustrating.  Is that I know I'm hung up on this image he projected.  Part of me feels like if I knew who he really was, if I saw the differences he saw, I'd be behind him on this one.  I be able to take the leap and see we weren't a good couple.

But I don't even know really, do I?  I only knew him for a month.  Maybe he wasn't putting up a front.  God I wish we could have been friends.

I don't even know if he liked me or if he was just passing time with me.

But I mean, all that considered.  There's still the memory of how I felt with him.  How happy and exciting it all was, right?  How great it felt when I thought he felt the same way.

And that's what's so hard to shake.  Those feelings are so salient.  Sometimes I catch myself thinking that we met at the wrong time.  That if we had met each other 2 years from now in some cafe it would have all worked out, I could have known who he really was.

It's all so damn frustrating. And I wish I had even one picture together.

No comments:

Post a Comment